Today’s exciting news on Twitter is that one or more of the Department of Defense systems used to coordinate ICBMs and nuclear bombers still use 8-inch floppy disks. A spokesperson for the DoD explained, “It still works.” The computer is an IBM Series/1 that dates from the seventies.
- Follow Mad File Format Science on WordPress.com
- Introductory JHOVE workshop, January 25, 2019
- Why does one PDF display and another one download?
- The digital preservation song challenge!
- Fact-checking the GIF format
- How to approach the file format validation problem
- Emoji interoperability (or its lack)
- Data Transfer Project: New models for interoperability
- DNA as data storage