A beta version of JHOVE 1.8 is now available for testing. Please report any problems. New stuff:
- If JHOVE doesn’t find a configuration file, it creates a default one.
- Generics widely added to clean up the code.
- Several errors in checking for PDF-A compliance were corrected. Aside from
fixing some outright bugs, the Contents key for non-text Annotations is
no longer checked, as its presence is only recommended and not required.
- Improved code by Hökan Svenson is now used for finding the trailer.
- TIFF tag 700 (XMP) now accepts field type 7 (UNDEFINED) as well as 1
(BYTE), on the basis of Adobe’s XMP spec, part 3.
- If compression scheme 6 is used in a file, an InfoMessage will report
that the file uses deprecated compression.
- In WAVE files the Originator Reference property, found in the Broadcast Wave Extension
(BEXT) chunk, is now reported.
Testing this beta now, will get back about that.
One question though, what is the difference between this project and JHOVE2?
JHOVE2 is a completely different piece of software, written by different people, and taking a different approach in several respects. It’s not a complete replacement for JHOVE because it doesn’t cover all the same formats. Like many such projects, JHOVE2 didn’t have enough funding to do everything its creators would have liked. People are still using the old JHOVE, so I’m still maintaining it.