Forwarded from Stephen Abrams:
A new alpha release of JHOVE2 is now available for download and evaluation (v. 0.6.0, 2010-03-17). Distribution packages (in zip and tar.gz form) are available on the JHOVE2 public wiki at https://confluence.ucop.edu/display/JHOVE2Info/Jhove2-0.6.0+Download.
The new JHOVE2 architecture reflected in this prototype is described in the architectural overview.
The distribution package contains two driver scripts in the JHOVE2 home directory: a DOS shell script (jhove2.bat) for Windows and a Bourne shell script (jhove2.sh) for Unix/Linux. Please see the download page for instructions on any modifications that need to be made to these scripts to run in your environment.
You can verify the installation with the command (for Unix):
% ./jhove2.sh test.xml -o test.xml.out
This command should produce results similar to this.
The prototype supports the following features:
- Format identification, validation, feature extraction, and message digest.
- Appropriate recursive processing of directories, file sets, clumps, and container files (see the architectural overview for the definition of file sets and clumps).
- High performance buffered I/O using the Java NIO package.
- Integration with DROID for file identification.
- Message digesting for the following algorithms: Adler-32, CRC-32, MD2, MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512.
- Results formatted as text (name/value pairs), JSON, and XML.
- Use of the Spring Framework v2.5.6.
- Inversion-of-Control (IOC) container for flexible application and module configuration using dependency injection.
- Complete modules:
Please be aware of the following limitations and caveats:
- JHOVE2 requires a 1.6 JRE.
- This prototype is being made available to provide an early look at the new JHOVE2 architecture and APIs. While the full processing model is demonstrated, there is limited format support at this time.
- The aggregate-level identification module (i.e. the “aggrefier” module) has been configured by the Spring configuration files in this distribution to recognize a Shapefile formed by the files with the extensions “.shp”, “.shx”, and “.dbf”. The Shapefile module itself, however, is minimally functional.
- There is no assessment module available for review at this time.
The project team is now working on additional format modules. These will be added to the public distribution as they become available.
Utility scripts are also included in the JHOVE2 installation directory to support Windows (.bat) and Unix/Linux (.sh):
- jhove2_doc – JHOVE2 Reportable documentation utility.
- jhove2_upfg – JHOVE2 utility to generate editable Java
properties file for units of measure settings for Reportable features
that have a Numeric type
- jhove2_dpfg – JHOVE2 utility to generate editable Java
properties file for Displayer settings for Reportable features
Please see the download page for instructions on running these scripts in your environment.
We would very much like to receive your feedback on the new code. While the current state of the code is the product of much internal review and refactoring, your evaluations and suggestions, based on a wide diversity of experience and needs, will be welcome as we continue to move forward with our work.
Please direct your comments and suggestions to the “JHOVE2-TechTalk-L” mailing list for community discussion.
Stephen Abrams / California Digital Library
Tom Cramer / Stanford University
Sheila Morrissey / Portico
On behalf of the JHOVE2 project team